Thursday, March 10, 2011

Personality, Politics, and the fear of Copyright Infringement

While completing the second entry into my journal, I noticed the copyright warning at the beginning.  "No part of this product may be used or reproduced in any manner whatsoever without prior written permission."  I see the irony of including this quote in my blog.  I also think that it is a little strange that the product may not be used without prior consent.  What is their definition of use?  Am I allowed to set my drink on it to avoid damaging my coffee table?  I better contact my lawyer.

I don't really have a lot of extra money to spend on legal fees, so I am no longer going to include pictures of my charts directly from the book.  When necessary, I will find other pictures to show examples.  For example, here is an example of an example picture:


My second graph is a Venn Diagram.  For those who don't know what a Venn Diagram looks like, I drew this picture:


Venn diagrams show commonalities and differences.  For this venn diagram, I had to choose three elements of my personality.  I chose Intelligent, Competitive, and Emotional.

Now I could explain why I chose each, but that isn't what a venn diagram is all about.  A Venn diagram is about looking at those overlapping sections and trying to figure out what the commonalities mean.  So that is what I will do.

Compelligent - I think the area where my competitiveness and intelligence overlap is the easiest to see.  I love absolutely love trivia games.  I come from a family that always was playing some type of board game while I was growing up.  When the Havenstein adults would be playing Trivial Pursuit, I would always have my box of Junior Trivia cards right there so I could join in the fun.  I love playing those electronic trivia games at Buffalo Wild Wings, too.  If I am not in first place, I look around, trying to figure out who my biggest competition is.  And MyTriviaLive!  I wish they had it in Vegas.  I am jealous of those of you in Metro Detroit.  I would play every week.

Compotional - The part of my personality where my competitiveness meets my emotional side may not be as evident to outside observers, but is quite obvious to me.  When  my emotions start to take over, there are certain physical phenomenon I notice.  Racing pulse.  Anxiety.  Vocal Outbursts.  The same happens when I am involved in competition.  An interesting thing I've found out in the past few years is that I don't actually have to be competing to feel these highs and lows, I can be coaching.

Emelligent - This overlap is probably the hardest for me to dissect.  The most obvious place where my emotions and intelligence are overlapping would be my political beliefs.  I hold the beliefs I do not only because I believe they make intellectual sense, but also because of an emotional aspect as well.  The unfortunate thing about this is that I can't really have intellectual political discussions.  Because these beliefs are tied to my emotions, I get angry pretty easily with people who outwardly disagree with me.  To avoid this anger, I avoid politics as much as possible.  This is a change that has occured in the past few years.  Maybe I'll talk more about it in later posts.

So...this post is a bit deeper than my last one, and maybe not so entertaining, but at least I am still going.

Thanks for the positive comments.  I am going to try to allow everyone to comment right on my blog.  If I don't like what somebody writes, I'll just get rid of it. 

4 comments:

  1. I am constantly amazed at how similar all of us in your family are. Although we all like to think we are so different, you just described the way our competiveness is combined with our intelligence and our emotions and how strongly we feel about what we believe. I have a list of subjects that I can't talk with anyone about, because I don't want them to disagree with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would assure your blogs success if you made it a blog competition with your siblings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I wrote competiveness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please always expect a comment from me on all of your posts. I don't personally know most of the people that write blogs I read so I am enjoying that I know you! =)
    I am a little sad about the pictures thing. I liked seeing your doodlies....
    You are very competitive! You and DreAnn in the same room playing games that night was just a little scary. ;-) I am not competitive at all.
    I really like the word compelligent.

    ReplyDelete